Evergreen shrub, can reach 10 meters in height. The wood is aromatic, reddish, fine grained, very resistant to rot, easy to work. It has been used in cabinetmaking and gives good pillars and beams. It is cultivated as an ornamental for its pleasant foliage and to form hedges.
The pre-germinative treatments traditionally proposed for the genus juniperus have been:
- Stratification in humid sand or peat for 3-4 months at 3-4ºC.
- When the dormancy is double, it should be stratified in humid sand or peat for 2-3 months at 40-50ºC and for 3-4ºC.
- Pre-cooled for 90 days at 3-5ºC.
- Seeds are harvested in October and stratified for three months at 12-20ºC and then another three months at 5ºC.
- Stratification at room temperature, i.e., planted in the nursery beds for 17 months.
- Cold stratification at 2-4ºC for 3 months.
- Soak for 24 hours, maintaining germination conditions between 45-50ºC, in light. Germination days vary from 30-180.
Early Spring, Late Spring
Early Autumn, Late Autumn
Coastline and Dunes